Making money online is mainly about taking the resources or skills a person already has and making them accessible to others. Whether boosting a career as an online coach or just needing a quick solution for additional income, there are plenty of jobs for those who want to make money from home.
In the article below, discover ten ways to make money online. The first four strategies listed are targeted at those looking for quick fixes. The last six provide long-term solutions for those interested in becoming online business owners, coaches, or influencers.
1.Get a Side Hustle Running on Upwork: Starting a side hustle by taking jobs on Upwork is one of the best ways to make money from home and grow a freelance business. Upwork is a platform where freelancers can post their profiles, skills, and the types of jobs they’re looking for.
Additionally, business owners needing freelance services can post work they need help with. Freelancers can bid on the project, helping company owners quickly find a match. In turn, the potential for making money online is endless. From small tasks to full-time contract work, there are various opportunities to make money from home on Upwork.com.
2. Start an Etsy Shop: Starting a shop on Etsy is a great idea for making money online for those with a creative, artisanal flair. This is a great option when starting out as an e-commerce business owner. Working with this site doesn’t involve much risk. There’s nearly no overhead.
Listing items in individual shops costs 20 cents. For transaction and processing fees, users can expect Etsy to take around eight percent out of each sale. For more information on starting an Etsy shop, visit their community guidelines.
3. Trade Your Typing Skills for Cash: For those looking to make money quickly, check out becoming a transcriptionist at a transcription site. While it isn’t a lucrative career, it can certainly contribute to your monthly income.
For example, Rev.com pays around $250 per month for transcription services. Working for multiple sites is flexible for those desiring supplemental income sources and brings in additional earnings. Furthermore, it can bring in more cash for people who have left their jobs to branch out independently.
4. Take Surveys for Products, Websites, and Apps: The simplest way to make money from home is by participating in surveys for various companies. Survey Junkie and OneOpinion are the top sites for exchanging feedback for money. Similar to transcription services, the overall money-making opportunities are low. People get paid 50 cents to five dollars for each survey. If a person dedicates enough time to taking surveys each month, that extra cash can add up.
5. Affiliate marketing lets independent marketers make more money by taking a cut of the sales of a product or service they promote. For instance, many online business coaches or influencers use Instagram to promote a product. In the post or video, they’ll give their audience their affiliate link, which usually discounts new customers. From here, the company will share some of the earnings gained from the promotion with the coach or influencer.
If you’re interested in working directly with a business, ask if they have an affiliate program. Most companies that operate and market online will already have one in place. Check out their terms and decide whether or not working as an affiliate would be beneficial to you. According to an article from Investopedia, those who promote other companies with an affiliate link typically boost their yearly earnings by 5 to 20 percent.
6. Sponsorships: Also, businesses often sponsor posts, videos, and podcasts from content creators who have large or quickly growing audiences. Essentially, sponsorships have different terms. Unlike affiliate marketing, the payment for representing a company is not based on a commission. With a sponsorship, the company and the influencer, host, or business coach agree upon a sum of money in exchange for marketing their product or service.
Those participating in this strategy can make money fast, but it does require a large online presence and following. As a person grows their audience on various platforms, they must make it clear where to send sponsorship requests by providing an email address for business inquiries. These are typically listed in an influencer’s bio and let business owners know they’re looking to make money online through various marketing tactics.
7. YouTube Monetization: For entrepreneurs looking for passive income, starting or growing a YouTube channel might be the best investment. Those with YouTube channels can make money from home by applying to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). Being accepted into YPP gives content creators access to the platform’s additional money-making features.
Current standards for the YouTube Partner Program include channels with at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watched hours of content. Once approved, YouTubers can receive ad revenue and promotional payments. For more information on monetizing a YouTube channel, check out this article about YPP.
8. Write and Sell an E-book: In this context, an e-book is a magnet that attracts audience members into a business owner’s marketing funnel. Engaging in a product or service with a low-cost, high-value offer is part of building a client relationship. Additionally, it can be a great way to make money online and gain continuous leads.
When writing an e-book, sit down and determine how to best help your target audience. For instance, marketing consultants might write a short e-book on how to set up a basic sales funnel.
9. Become an online business coach or life coach: Depending on your qualifications and knowledge, becoming an online business coach or life coach is a great way to make money from home. However, out of all the ways to make money online, this strategy requires a lot of front-end work and maintenance. For example, potential group members must have a place to receive more information before diving into a large commitment. Most online coaches create a long-form sales page detailing their program. Additionally, high-ticket offers typically require more nurturing from business owners. This might look like writing multiple email series that connect to the marketing funnel.
10. Develop an Evergreen Course: Developing an evergreen course is a great way to make money online. These programs are called “evergreen” because they exist perpetually and consistently generate revenue. The pre-recorded course provides “how-to” information to customers interested in receiving coaching. For instance, an experienced graphic designer may have created an evergreen course that would be of interest to someone learning Adobe Photoshop.
When creating an evergreen course, it’s extremely important the program is built around a specific goal members want to achieve. For instance, a marketing expert might build a step-by-step course teaching clients how to build their first sales funnel. With evergreen courses, it’s best to keep the content as specific and explanatory as possible. Teaching too many things at once will likely confuse and overwhelm customers.
11. Before you start a consulting business, you should focus on a specific service, like marketing, copywriting, or design.
Next, could you think about who needs this service? For example, a marketing consultant might target businesses that aren’t receiving high social media engagement.
Finally, develop a simple website that provides more information on the company owner, business mission, and services offered. Adding testimonials and portfolio examples from previous clients also boosts credibility.
12. Build a marketing or web development company: The money-making idea above is for people to branch out independently. Yet, in many cases, companies start with one or more people already on board. Teaming with consultants and freelancers can expand an online business owner’s capabilities.
Staying competitive means developing the best team possible, especially for those offering marketing and web services. The more achievements and experience are highlighted, the more likely customers will choose your business.
With that being said, start lean and discuss working with part-time employees on a contract basis. When hiring new team members, look at the company’s needs and grow accordingly.
The More Effort, the More Money: Making money online is similar to any job. The amount of time and effort spent on the project determines how much a person earns. While more work-intensive strategies like starting a business in coaching or consulting require more work, these options also offer more opportunities.
For example, the richest person in the world started his online business in his garage. Almost three decades later, Jeff Bezos and Amazon have scaled unimaginable heights. This proves that, with the internet, the right idea connected to the right audience can result in an incredible outcome.